วันพฤหัสบดีที่ 24 กันยายน พ.ศ. 2552

Kindle DX: Bigger and Better

Kindle DX: Bigger and Better

I just finished my first session with the Kindle DX, and I am absolutely delighted. I have subscribed to the customer service blogs for the Kindle 2, and have watched “nit pick” after “nit pick” come cascading from people, who quite frankly, need to get a life. If you do not want a book for a penny more than $9.99, don’t buy it! If you are in the remote hills of Asia, and the product is wireless only in the USA, move home! And so on!
When you turn on your Kindle DX, you are now holding a perfectly sized book, substantailly heavier, but, oh, those large fonts. They are glorious. I am 55 years old and have had lasik surgery on one eye only. My vision corrects to 20-20 without glasses, but neither close-up nor far away feel absolutely perfect. That is the price I pay for not having to wear glasses.
With the Kindle DX, the font is perfect, using one of the two larger sizes. Compared to the Kindle 2, there is more content per page turn for the same size font, due obviously to the increased real estate on the screen.
Next, when I am wanting to find something, like for example a bible verse, I go to a smaller font, and get WAY MORE content. Once I am where I need to be, a quick pop to a larger font has me home free.
Of course, I want the backlight and the color, and would pay for them, but they will come in due course.
Do not subscribe to the USA today, unless you want a very watered down view of the paper. This device is not ready for a color newspaper. You would be much better served by subscribing on your PC, or reading the free USA today site on your iPhone or PC.
The iPhone integration continues to be superb, and if you want a quick bedtime read, it is backlit!
The downloading and upgrading remain remarkably easy.
Obviously, removing the left side buttons was a terrible mistake, and the cries of horrified anger will undoubtedly cause the problem to be solved on the next generation.
Will the next Kindle DX be better? Of course! Will the next iMac be better? Of course! Will the next generation Windows computer be better? Of course. Ditto for flat screen TV’s, cars, and telephones.
If you are a technology freak who has to get the latest and greatest immediately, you already have your Kindle DX. If you are almost that far towards the “bleeding edge” you should enthusiastically pony up for this baby, ’cause you are going to love it. You already know that you can sell your Kindle DX for about 70% of what you paid for it when the next one comes out. As a matter of fact, if the next one has color and/or backlighting, and you buy it the first day, you will get almost 90% if you sell quickly.
So, if you are a first time Kindl’r, it is time to get in the game. If you are an upgrade candidate, this is a clear buy if screen size and font size matter. When the backlit, color version hits, watch for my presale, I always keep my equipment in brand new condition!

By Richard Gruber

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น